Disclaimer: since cold pressed coconut oil hardens under room temperature, it can create plumping use if poured excessively down the drain in colder climates.
Coconut & Coffee body scrub cubes is one of the easiest DIY project you’ll ever make – and it will make your skin feel as soft and smooth as a babies bottom! It can also temporarily help cellulite effected areas, by tightening the skin, as well as treat minor skin irritations. Besides these benefits, it’s just a great way to make a two-in-one solution for a scrub and moisturiser!
Why Coconut & Coffee?
Coconut oil is a widely used oil for health and beauty world wide, and for good reasons. In India it has used for thousands of years, as a part of the ancient science of Ayuveda, for both internal and external healing. For skin Coconut Oil is used to promote wound healing and cooling in conditions such as eczema, as well as general nourishing and moisturising. Since it is highly antibacterial and antimicrobial, it can also help ease different mild skin irritations.
Coffee grounds scrubs off dead skin cells, leaving the skin smoother and softer. It is also known to be absorbed into the skin where it dehydrates the fluid in cellulite effected areas, tightening the skin temporarily. An extra benefit is that it’s a great way to reuse your coffee grounds, from your morning coffee!
What you need
- Coffee grounds (used)
- Coconut oil (not fractioned since it won’t harden – either 72 degrees or 92 degrees)
- Essential oils of choice (optional)
- An ice cube tray
How to go about it
- Spread the coffee ground in an ice tray
- Heat the semi-solid coconut oil either in a double boiler or in a warm water bath
- Pour coconut oil over the coffee grounds
- Add two-three drops of essential oil to each
- Put the tray in the freezer until solid
- Once solid, put them in a jar and keep it in the fridge (unless you keep your house under room temperature – around 22 degrees Celsius)
How to use them
- Take out a scrub cube before your bath or shower. You will use the scrub as the last thing, so don’t put it too close to a steaming hot shower since it might melt
- Put the cube in your hand and it will soon start melting
- Scrub it against the areas of your body you want to treat
- Wash the grounds of with water, but no soap (since it will wash away the coconut oil
- Step out of the shower/bath and dry yourself lightly with a towel, to allow the coconut oil to be absorbed into your skin
That was all for now. Would love to hear from you if you try this out – or have other tips on easy DIY projects from natural beauty.
If you love it, share it!